As part of Frederick County’s 275th Anniversary celebratory year, the Frederick County 275 Planning Committee has announced a community contest to redesign the official County flag. Residents of all ages and backgrounds are encouraged to submit a design!
“This contest is a fun way for residents to help commemorate Frederick County’s 275th Anniversary and showcase our artists and our unique, diverse, and inclusive community,” said County Executive Jessica Fitzwater.
Submissions can be made now, until Friday, March 31, 2023. Submission criteria include the following:
- The designer must currently live or have lived in Frederick County, Maryland
- Only one submission per person may be made
- Designs may not contain offensive images, symbols, or languages
- Must be an original design and may not include copyrighted content
- Design must be easily displayed on a cloth flag (3’x 5’) to be flown on a flag pole
- Must include a design title and narrative about the design
- Must create a positive message of unity in our community
- Must be an inclusive representation of all residents of Frederick County, Maryland.
All designers are required to submit a rules and agreement form or their submission will not be accepted.
Designers younger than eighteen years of age must submit a parental consent form upon submission of a design.
Designs should be submitted as a full color, high-resolution PDF, JPG, or PNG in landscape format and can be submitted by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org by the Friday, March 31, 2023 deadline. Submissions that are incomplete or received after the deadline, will not be considered.
The contest will include two rounds. A selection committee consisting of County employees and community members will score the first round of designs based on simplicity, color scheme, and message/narrative.
In April 2023, the top three submissions will move forward to round two. A final winner will be voted on by the public and will be announced when voting closes on June 10, 2023, the day of the County’s founding Jubilee.
More information, including forms and contest instructions, can be found by visiting frederickcountymd.gov/275flagcontest.