The commissioners will take a break in their meeting schedule to raise the flags for the first time on two new poles that will beautify the entrance to the historic building, which is the seat of county government.
Vocational Training Specialist John Sharrer of the Scott Key Center has offered to sing a patriotic song during the ceremony.
Houck Construction oversaw the removal of a single flagpole and platform that had deteriorated beyond repair. County Maintenance Department employees also assisted with the project. The origin of the former flagpole is not known, but it was not in a photo of the building dated around 1900.
The new poles are aluminum and stand a few feet taller than the old flagpole, allowing a more prominent display of the flags. The poles have energy efficient LED lights at the top of each pole that illuminate the flags from above, thus reducing light pollution in the night sky.
The county traditionally flies the United States, Maryland and Frederick County flags. In addition, the county currently flies a flag that honors those that serve in the Armed Forces.
Those interested in the history of Winchester Hall will want to watch an award-winning documentary on the building titled, “Building for the Future,” at www.FrederickCountyMD.gov/fcgtv.
For additional information, contact Management Services Division Director Austin Abraham at 301-600-2500 or via e-mail at aabraham@FrederickCountyMD.gov.