Filing Discrimination Complaints

The Human Relations Department has authority to accept formal complaints of discrimination in the areas of employment, housing, and public accommodations. The following regulations are in place in regards to filing a formal complaint:
  • The problem must have occurred in Frederick County.
  • In an employment complaint, the employer must have15 or more employees.
  • The problem must have occurred in the last 6 months, or the problem is of a continuing nature. After 6 months, your right to file the complaint ends.
  • Be prepared with exact or approximate dates of occurrences and the names of other people who have had similar concerns but with different treatment. Keep all documentation related to the problem.

Examples of Discrimination

You must be able to state why you believe the problem occurred for a reason such as your:
  • Race
  • Color
  • Religion
  • National Origin
  • Sex
  • Age
  • Disability
  • Sexual Orientation
  • Gender Identity
  • Marital status
  • Source of income or family status (housing complaints only)
Exceptions apply and not all situations are not covered by law.

Confidential Services & Assistance

If you have a concern, let's discuss it. You may call our office.  Monday - Friday between 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Services are free and confidential. 301-600-1110

Equal Opportunity Information

The department also provides equal opportunity information. Calls from employers and organizations are welcome. If we can prevent discrimination from occurring or help an employer understand what may be considered appropriate steps in individual situations, such inquiries contribute to our goal of full equity for all.