What are the surface types and how can they be changed?

There are three roadway surface types in Frederick County; HMA (hot mix asphalt), Tar and Chip and Gravel. There is a petition process in place to change a roadway in the Rural Roads Program from gravel to tar and chip. This process is currently in a moratorium until the new program is in place. There currently is not a process to change a roadway from tar and chip to asphalt. DPW will be working on a formal process (Standard Operating Procedure or SOP) to convert roadways to a new pavement type.

Show All Answers

1. How do you notify residents of upcoming work?
2. What are the processes for patching on Tar and Chip roadways?
3. How does the County’s paving work tie-into my driveway?
4. Are roads widened during construction of Pavement Management Program contracts?
5. What are the procedures for shoulder backup and turfgrass establishment?
6. How can a homeowner get millings for personal use?
7. What are the surface types and how can they be changed?
8. What are the processes and procedures for repair work on roadways in the Rural Roads Program?
9. Does the Pavement Management Program maintain gravel roads?
10. Is patching a tar and chip roadway considered a maintenance activity permitted in the current Rural Roads Program?