Rural Historic Preservation Grants Awarded
7 Significant County Sites to Be Protected
FREDERICK, Md. – Seven historically significant rural properties will be preserved through Frederick County’s Rural Historic Preservation Grant Program, one of only a few rural historic preservation programs of its kind. Frederick County Executive Jan Gardner announced recipients of the competitive grants, which total $299,330.
“Frederick County values its rich history. By protecting our historic and cultural resources, future generations will understand what makes our rural communities distinct and special,” Executive Gardner said. “We are taking action to protect what we value and love about Frederick County.”
The following projects were awarded grants:
Buckeystown African-American School – Michaels Mill Road, Buckeystown. $45,135 to replace the existing roof, replace gutters, repair porch railing, steps, window trim, and paint. The school, built in 1902, educated children until 1938. It has been a private residence since the 1940s. The building is eligible for listing on the Frederick County Register of Historic Places.
Dr. James Long House – Doctor Baxter Road, Frederick. $37,500 to repair stone walls and stairs around the property. The stone landscaping was designed in 1933 by famed designer Stuart Haller and are one of the few remaining examples of his signature style. Stones will be repointed and the joints repaired. The property is eligible for listing on the County Register.
Elisha Beall Property (Boxwood) – Urbana Pike. $50,000 to rebuild the stone pillars and walls that mark the entry to the property. Built in the early to mid-1800s, the main home was the first property ever listed on the County Register.
Hamilton Willard Shafer Farm – Gapland Road, Burkittsville. $49,975 to repair or replace 24 of the 1820s farmhouse’s 33 windows, as well as shutters. The site served as the Union Army’s campaign headquarters in the autumn of 1862. The farmhouse is listed on the National Historic Register, and its inclusion on the County Register soon will be voted on by the County Council.
Jacob Smith Tavern – Old National Pike, Braddock Heights. $39,720 to replace the existing cedar shake roof with hand-split cedar shakes. The property was built in 1810 and served as a tavern and blacksmith shop. Artist Helen L. Smith converted the summer kitchen on the site into her studio. The property is listed on the County Register.
Methodist Episcopal Church of Petersville – Jefferson Pike, Petersville. $27,000 to replace the mismatched roofs over five separate parts of the property with a more consistent style of roofing. Built between 1840 and 1850, the small stone church served as a field hospital during the Civil War. In 1938, the building was converted into a private residence. The property is listed on the County Register.
Samuel Fleming House (Tuscany) – Autumn Leaf Lane, Frederick. $50,000 to replace the roof, repair the wrap-around porch, and demolish a 1980s sunroom. The home, built in the 1770s, housed several notable residents, including Congressman Jacob Kunkle, owner of the Catoctin Furnace. The property is listed on the County Register.
For additional information about the Frederick County Rural Historic Preservation Grant Program, visit www.frederickcountymd.gov/7981/Historic-Preservation. Questions about the program can be directed to Amanda Whitmore, Historic Preservation Planner at AWhitmore@FrederickCountyMD.gov.