The Frederick County Government and its allied agencies involved in the COVID-19 response have come together to operate a Joint Information Center. The purpose of the Joint Information Center is to ensure consistent coordinated messaging across the participating agencies.
The media can contact the Joint Information Center (JIC) at 301-600-7662 or Email for all COVID-19 related inquiries. JIC staff are monitoring both and you will receive a response within one business day.
Frederick County Health Department
Frederick County Government
City of Frederick
Frederick Community College
Frederick Health Hospital
Frederick County Public Libraries
Frederick County Public Schools
Frederick County Sheriff’s Office
Frederick County State’s Attorney’s Office
Frederick National Laboratory for Cancer Research
All open space in County and Municipal owned parks is open for use. Amenities and/or facilities in parks may be closed. Due to the variations reopening, it is best to check directly with the park owner for information on their parks. Links to park owners can be found on the parks listing page. For Municipal park rules, check with your municipality.
The information below provides updated information regarding unemployment insurance to direct citizens to the appropriate resources.
Effective April 1, 2020 claimants are encouraged to file according to a new system, which has been designed to make the process easier for claimants.
To file an initial regular unemployment claim online or through state call centers, please file a claim according to your last name as detailed below:
• If your last name starts with A-F, file your claim on a Monday.
• If your last name starts with G-N, file your claim on a Tuesday.
• If your last name starts with O-Z, file your claim on a Wednesday.
• Filing is open to all by phone on Thursdays and Fridays; online on all Thursdays through Sundays.
• Filing later in a week will not delay your payments or affect the date of your claim.
Claimants are strongly encouraged to utilize the online NetClaims application to file claims. This online application is available 24/7. It is strongly encouraged to file during non-peak hours (8 p.m. - 7 a.m.) for faster processing.
Claim center telephone hours have been further extended and open from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Friday. To contact a center, please call 410-949-0022.
Claims may only be filed by phone or online, not by email.
If someone is having difficulty placing a call or accessing the website, please email
Employers can email or contact 410-767-2412.
• If someone’s job or business has been impacted by the coronavirus, please read COVID-19 Frequently Asked Questions.
• To learn more about the work-search requirement exemption, please visit Work Search FAQs.
• To learn about the federal "CARES" Act, please see FAQs.
• To find additional information about Maryland’s unemployment insurance program, please visit the Unemployment Insurance web page.
Please be aware that the Division of Unemployment Insurance’s website and call centers are currently experiencing an unprecedented volume of users due to COVID-19. This may result in long wait times. We understand claimants are experiencing trouble getting through. We apologize for any inconvenience and thank callers for their patience during these uncertain times.
Please be assured that Maryland does not have a waiting week like many other states do. No matter when or how a claimant files, he or she becomes eligible for benefits starting the day after they separated from employment. If a claimant is eligible, he or she will be paid for all benefits due.
If you have any questions, please contact Steve Schuh at email or 443-381-3805.
The following provides essential COVID-19 information, from trusted sources, in various languages.