The employee educational program was established for the mutual benefit of both Frederick County Government and the regular employee who has been employed by Frederick County Government for six months or more. Funding of the program is subject to the decision of the County Governing Body and it may be suspended/modified at any time.
Effective July 1, 2015, this program reimburses a) 75% of the cost of tuition, books, registration fees, charges per credit hour or similar charges for a regular employee who completes a pre-approved course from an accredited educational institution that improves the job-related knowledge or skills required for their current job or for a promotional opportunity to which the employee may reasonably expect to progress within Frederick County Government; or b) 50% of the aforementioned costs for non job-related courses that are required as part of a degree program, certificate or professional/technical accreditation program related to their current job or required for a promotional opportunity to which the employee may reasonably expect to progress within Frederick County Government.
Benefits are subject to the following conditions:
1. Reimbursement is limited to a) two (2) courses taken per semester and b) up to a maximum benefit of $3,000 per fiscal year.
2. Courses of study eligible under this program include credit and non-credit courses, on-line/home study courses, and proficiency examinations from an accredited educational institution.
3. Documentation of a grade of “C” or better or the numeric equivalent is required for reimbursement for all credit courses. Non-credit courses, on-line/home study courses, pass/fail courses, and proficiency examinations not subject to grading require a certificate or a letter from the college or institution verifying satisfactory completion.
4. Mileage allowances or other travel reimbursements are not considered eligible expenses in this program.
5. All requests for educational funds must be approved or disapproved by the Division Director concerned, and directed to the Director of Human Resources for final action PRIOR to the registration for the course.
(updated July 2015)