Accessory structure: A subordinate structure, which is located on the same lot as the principle building and serves a purpose customarily incidental to the principle building. No accessory structures will be permitted in designated floodplain areas.(§1-19-11.100).
Accessory Structures include: garages, tool sheds, storage buildings, barns, signs, or similar structures. (§1-19-4.300).
(A) No accessory building will be erected within the required front yard, except as provided in §1-19-8.250.1. No accessory structure will be erected within 6 feet of any lot lines or within 6 feet of any building on the lot, except as provided in §1-19-8.250.1.
(B) No accessory structure, wind energy system, solar array or associated structure, will be erected within the required front yard setback, except as provided in §1-19-8.250.1.
(C) Accessory structures shall be located on the same parcel as the principal permitted use or structure.
(D) Accessory structures on residential properties see also §1-19-8.240(B)
Accessory Structure on Residential Properties
(B) An accessory structure shall be limited in size when located on a residential zoned property to the following: (§1-19-4.300.2)The total square footage of all floors of the accessory structure shall not exceed that of the dwelling.
(1) The total square footage of all floors of the accessory structure shall not exceed that of the dwelling;
(2) Except as provided in subsection (B)(3) below, the footprint of an accessory structure may not exceed the greater of: (a) One-half of the footprint of the principal dwelling; or (b) Six hundred square feet
(3) One (1) accessory structure located on a Residential-1 (R-1) zoned property mat exceed the footprint limits of subsection (B)(2) above, provided that the footprint of that accessory structure does not exceed 2000 square feet, and provided that the lot size equals or exceeds 20,000 square feet.
(4) The square footage allowed for business purposes in an accessory structure shall be 600 square feet.
(5) Accessory structures shall not exceed 70% of the maximum height allowed for the principal permitted use, except as otherwise provided within this chapter.
For More Information
To determine if your lot is residential zoned or to determine your required front yard, please contact the Zoning Office at:
30 N. Market St.
Frederick, MD 21701 Email